Be Careful on the Web!

Sign by Danasoft - For Backgrounds and Layouts

Music (Click pause if you want it to be quiet)

Friday, May 15, 2009

Cookie - Questions about a possibly sick Budgie

It's been a while and there's not much to update on about us dogs. But we know your help about our Budgie. I'll copy mistress's post from Dogster, which we decided to ask there, after asking the vet, birdchannel forum members, and other sources.

"[i]I've asked the vet, I've asked some friends on a birdchannel, I've asked on another forum, and I've asked some people I know in RL, but for the life of me I can't figure out who to belief. shrug
My Budgie, Spirit, started a heavy molt, in March (or maybe it was last month...). She lost a bunch of feathers, creating bald spots and spots where her downy feathers show up. Right now, there's downy feathers on her upper chest showing, a bald spot on her back (under her wings), and an almost bald neck (which can only be seen when she lifts her head up high). Not exactly a pretty sight...

The feathers seem to be growing back, but slowly. I'm not concerned that it's a bit early for a molt, because people-on-birdchannel's (including Budgie owners) birds are having early molts, too. I think it's because of the early summer weather we've been having. I'm thinking that stress may be a factor, because Spirit's old buddy, Reepicheep, died in January and Spirit's been down in the dumps ever since. Until we got another Budgie (a 6 year old skyblue dilute named Dr. Looney) on Wednesday. She perked right up and is acting like her old self again.

This prolonged heavy molting is scaring me. The people on birdchannel think it's serious and the vet thinks it's normal. I'm so confused. Part of me just wants to assume that stress brought this on and now that she's got a cage buddy it'll get better fast. But, for safety's sake, I cannot do that. If an infection brought this on, I don't want the "newer" Budgie catching it.

And the family doesn't want to bring Spirit to the vet unless it's serious. Since the vet said (over the phone) that it doesn't sound serious, so the family doesn't want to take her in as of now. So I guess that I'll just keep an eye on the poor bird for any further signs of trouble. I've said this several times in the past day and I'll say it again...I wish I knew as much about birds as I know about dogs.

I need tips from you guys, and most importantly, prayers.frown[/i]"

Here's a picture of Spirit from Wednesday:

You might want to see Dr. Looney too, so here's some pictures of him:





ETA:
So far we've gotten advice to keep an eye on her, make sure she's not plucking, and to get a food that helps with molting.

1 comment:

KEY WEST COLLIES said...

We hope you get better. Collies don't have a bird brain, so we don't know what to tell you about molting. Hope you get some help.

Dog Speed

Essex & Deacon